MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
IF YOU LIVE IN (OR IF YOUR PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS IS IN) THE UNITED STATES, PLEASE READ THE BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN SECTION 8. IT AFFECTS HOW DISPUTES ARE RESOLVED.
Thank you for choosing Microsoft!
The below terms apply to your use of the Office Mobile Apps software only if you acquired the software from Microsoft through one of its online stores such as Windows Store. If you acquired the software preinstalled on your device, the Microsoft Software License Terms you agreed to for Windows Operating System (“Windows OS License Terms”) apply to your use of the Office Mobile Apps software instead of the below terms. You can review the Windows OS License Terms after your Windows Operating System software is running by going to the Control Panel – System - Windows Activation within that software or at microsoft.com/useterms. You can review linked terms by pasting the forward link into a browser window.
This is a license agreement between you and Microsoft Corporation (or, based on where you live or if a business where your principal place of business is located, one of its affiliates). .
This agreement describes your rights and the conditions upon which you may use the Office Mobile App. You should review the entire agreement, including any printed paper license terms that accompany the software and any terms linked below, because all of those terms are important and together create this agreement that applies to you.
By accepting this agreement or using the software, you agree to all of these terms and consent to the transmission of certain information during activation and during your use of the software pursuant to the Microsoft Privacy Statement described in Section 4. If you do not accept and comply with these terms, you may not use the software or its features.
a. Applicability. This agreement applies to the Office Mobile App, the media on which you received the software (if any), any fonts, icons, images or sound files included with the software, and also any Microsoft updates, upgrades, supplements or services for the software, unless other terms come with them. If this agreement contains terms regarding a feature or service not available on your device, then those terms do not apply.
b. Additional terms. Depending on your device’s capabilities, how it is configured, and how you use it, additional Microsoft and third party terms may apply to your use of certain features, services and apps.
(ii) The software may include third party programs that Microsoft, not the third party, licenses to you under this agreement. Notices, if any, for the third party program are included for your information only.
(iii) While the software is running, you may use its fonts to display and print content. You may temporarily download the fonts to a printer or other output device to print content, and you may embed fonts in content only as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts.
2. Installation and Use Rights.
a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote are licensed for your personal, non-commercial use, unless you have commercial use rights under a separate agreement. Under this agreement we grant you the right to install and run one instance on up to each of ten (10) of your Windows 10 devices (the licensed devices) that are affiliated with the Microsoft account associated with your Windows Store account.
Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation you do not have a license to use the software.
b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.
c. Restrictions. Microsoft reserves all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;
(ii) publish, copy, rent, lease, or lend the software;
(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);
(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;
(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;
(vi) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except if the laws where you live (or if a business, where your principal place of business is located) permit this even when this agreement does not. In that case, you may do only what your law allows; or
(vii) when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.
d. Multi use scenarios.
(i) Multiple or pooled connections. You may not use hardware or software to multiplex or pool connections, or otherwise allow multiple users or multiple computers or devices to access or use the software indirectly through the licensed computer.
(ii) Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.
(iii) Remote access. You may access and use the software installed on the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, so long as the software installed on the licensed device is not being used by another user simultaneously. Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software.
(iv) Remote assistance. You may use remote assistance technologies to share an active session without obtaining any additional licenses for the software. Remote assistance allows one user to connect directly to another user’s device, usually to correct problems.
3. Transfer to another device or a third party. The license includes the right to install and use the software on up to ten (10) licensed devices simultaneously. If you attempt to install the software on more devices, it may be deactivated automatically from one of these devices, so that no more than the maximum number of instances are activated at any one time.
4. Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement available at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=507380, and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.
5. Updates. The software periodically checks for software updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and by accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.
6. Geographic and Export Restrictions. If your software is restricted for use in a particular geographic region, then you may activate the software only in that region. You must also comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software, which include restrictions on destinations, end users, and end use. For further information on geographic and export restrictions, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=141397 and microsoft.com/exporting.
7. Support. Because this software is “as is,” we may not provide support services for it, but limited customer support is available at office.com/support (help/how-to) and at support.microsoft.com/contactus (technical support). Charges may apply.
8. Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver Only if You Live in (or if a Business Your Principal Place of Business is in) the United States (inapplicable to residents of or businesses with principal place of business outside the United States).
We hope we never have a dispute, but if we do, you and we agree to try for 60 days to resolve it informally. If we can’t, you and we agree to binding individual arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) under the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), and not to sue in court in front of a judge or jury. Instead, a neutral arbitrator will decide and the arbitrator’s decision will be final except for a limited right of appeal under the FAA. Class action lawsuits, class-wide arbitrations, private attorney-general actions, and any other proceeding where someone acts in a representative capacity aren’t allowed. Nor is combining individual proceedings without the consent of all parties.
a. Disputes covered—everything except IP. The term “dispute” is as broad as it can be. It includes any claim or controversy between you and Microsoft, concerning the software, its price, or this agreement, under any legal theory including contract, warranty, tort, statute, or regulation, except disputes relating to the enforcement or validity of your, your licensors’, our, or our licensors’ intellectual property rights.
b. Mail a Notice of Dispute first. If you have a dispute and our customer service representatives can’t resolve it, send a Notice of Dispute by U.S. Mail to Microsoft Corporation, ATTN: LCA ARBITRATION, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399. Tell us your name, address, how to contact you, what the problem is, and what you want. A form is available at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=245499. We’ll do the same if we have a dispute with you. After 60 days, you or we may start an arbitration if the dispute is unresolved.
c. Small claims court option. Instead of mailing a Notice of Dispute, and if you meet the court’s requirements, you may sue us in small claims court in your county of residence (or if a business your principal place of business) or our principal place of business–King County, Washington USA if your dispute is with Microsoft. We hope you’ll mail a Notice of Dispute and give us 60 days to try to work it out, but you don’t have to before going to small claims court.
d. Arbitration procedure. The AAA will conduct any arbitration under its Commercial Arbitration Rules (or if you are an individual and use the software for personal or household use, or if the value of the dispute is $75,000 USD or less whether or not you are an individual or how you use the software, its Consumer Arbitration Rules). For more information, see www.adr.org or call 1-800-778-7879. To start an arbitration, submit the form available at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=245497 to the AAA; mail a copy to Microsoft. In a dispute involving $25,000 USD or less, any hearing will be telephonic unless the arbitrator finds good cause to hold an in-person hearing instead. Any in-person hearing will take place in your county of residence (or if a business your principal place of business) or our principal place of business—King County, Washington. You choose. The arbitrator may award the same damages to you individually as a court could. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only to you individually to satisfy your individual claim.
e. Arbitration fees and payments.
(i) Disputes involving $75,000 USD or less. Microsoft will promptly reimburse your filing fees and pay the AAA’s and arbitrator’s fees and expenses. If you reject our last written settlement offer made before the arbitrator was appointed, your dispute goes all the way to an arbitrator’s decision (called an “award”), and the arbitrator awards you more than this last written offer, Microsoft will: (1) pay the greater of the award or $1,000 USD; (2) pay your reasonable attorney’s fees, if any; and (3) reimburse any expenses (including expert witness fees and costs) that your attorney reasonably accrues for investigating, preparing, and pursuing your claim in arbitration. The arbitrator will determine the amounts unless you and we agree on them.
(ii) Disputes involving more than $75,000 USD. The AAA rules will govern payment of filing fees and the AAA’s and arbitrator’s fees and expenses.
(iii) Disputes involving any amount. If you start an arbitration we won’t seek our AAA or arbitrator’s fees and expenses, or your filing fees we reimbursed, unless the arbitrator finds the arbitration frivolous or brought for an improper purpose. If we start an arbitration we will pay all filing, AAA, and arbitrator’s fees and expenses. We won’t seek our attorney’s fees or expenses from you in any arbitration. Fees and expenses are not counted in determining how much a dispute involves.
f. Must file within one year. You and we must file in small claims court or arbitration any claim or dispute (except intellectual property disputes – see Section 8.a) within one year from when it first could be filed. Otherwise, it’s permanently barred.
g. Severability. If the class action waiver is found to be illegal or unenforceable as to all or some parts of a dispute, those parts won’t be arbitrated but will proceed in court, with the rest proceeding in arbitration. If any other provision of Section 8 is found to be illegal or unenforceable, that provision will be severed but the rest of Section 8 still applies.
h. Conflict with AAA rules. This agreement governs if it conflicts with the AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules or Consumer Arbitration Rules.
9. Governing Law. The laws of the state or country where you live (or, if a business, where your principal place of business is located) govern all claims and disputes concerning the software, its price, or this agreement, including breach of contract claims and claims under state consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, implied warranty laws, for unjust enrichment, and in tort, regardless of conflict of law principles, except that the FAA governs all provisions relating to arbitration.
10. Networks, data and Internet usage. Some features of the software and services accessed through the software may require your device to access the Internet. Your access and usage (including charges) may be subject to the terms of your cellular or internet provider agreement. Certain features of the software may help you access the Internet more efficiently, but the software’s usage calculations may be different from your service provider’s measurements. You are always responsible for (i) understanding and complying with the terms of your own plans and agreements, and (ii) any issues arising from using or accessing networks, including public/open networks. You may use the software to connect to networks, and to share access information about those networks, only if you have permission to do so.
11. Consumer Rights; Regional Variations. This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights, including consumer rights, under the laws of your state or country. You may also have rights with respect to the party from which you acquired the software. This agreement does not change those other rights if the laws of your state or country do not permit it to do so. For example, if you acquired the software in one of the below regions, or mandatory country law applies, then the following provisions apply to you:
a. Australia. You have statutory guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law and nothing in these terms is intended to affect those rights.
b. Canada. You may stop receiving updates on your device by turning off Internet access. If and when you re-connect to the Internet, the software will resume checking for and installing updates.
c. Germany and Austria.
(i) Warranty. The properly licensed software will perform substantially as described in any Microsoft materials that accompany the software. However, Microsoft gives no contractual guarantee in relation to the licensed software.
(ii) Limitation of Liability. In case of intentional conduct, gross negligence, claims based on the Product Liability Act, as well as, in case of death or personal or physical injury, Microsoft is liable according to the statutory law.
Subject to the preceding sentence, Microsoft will only be liable for slight negligence if Microsoft is in breach of such material contractual obligations, the fulfillment of which facilitate the due performance of this agreement, the breach of which would endanger the purpose of this agreement and the compliance with which a party may constantly trust in (so-called “cardinal obligations”). In other cases of slight negligence, Microsoft will not be liable for slight negligence.
12. Entire Agreement. This agreement (together with the printed paper license terms or other terms accompanying any software supplements, upgrades, updates, and services that are provided by Microsoft, and that you use), and the terms contained in web links listed in this agreement, are the entire agreement for the software and any such supplements, updates, upgrades and services (unless Microsoft provides other terms with such supplements, updates, upgrades or services). You can review this agreement after your software is running by going to “Licensing Options” under “Settings” within the software. You can also review the terms at any of the links in this agreement after your software is running by typing the URLs into a browser address bar, and you agree to do so. You agree that you will read the terms before using the software or services, including any linked terms. You understand that by using the software and services, you ratify this agreement and the linked terms. There are also informational links in this agreement. The links containing notices and binding terms are:
· go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=507380 (Microsoft Privacy Statement)
· go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=398923 (Microsoft Services Agreement)
THE SOFTWARE IS LICENSED “AS IS.” TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY YOUR LOCAL LAWS, YOU BEAR THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE SOFTWARE’S QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE. SHOULD IT PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL SERVICING OR REPAIR. MICROSOFT DOES NOT GIVE ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS FOR THE SOFTWARE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER YOUR LOCAL LAWS, MICROSOFT EXCLUDES ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL CONSUMER RIGHTS OR STATUTORY GUARANTEES UNDER LOCAL LAWS THAT THESE TERMS CANNOT CHANGE.
IF YOUR LOCAL LAWS IMPOSE A WARRANTY, GUARANTEE, OR CONDITION EVEN THOUGH THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT, ITS TERM IS LIMITED TO 90 DAYS FROM WHEN THE FIRST USER OF YOUR COPY OF THE SOFTWARE ACQUIRES THAT COPY. IF MICROSOFT BREACHES SUCH A WARRANTY, GUARANTEE, OR CONDITION, YOUR SOLE REMEDY, AT MICROSOFT’S ELECTION, IS (I) REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE SOFTWARE AT NO CHARGE, OR (II) RETURN OF THE SOFTWARE FOR A REFUND OF THE AMOUNT PAID, IF ANY. THESE ARE YOUR ONLY REMEDIES FOR BREACH OF A WARRANTY, GUARANTEE, OR CONDITION YOUR LOCAL LAWS IMPOSE.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY YOUR LOCAL LAWS, IF YOU HAVE ANY BASIS FOR RECOVERING DAMAGES, YOU CAN RECOVER FROM MICROSOFT ONLY DIRECT DAMAGES UP TO THE AMOUNT YOU PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE (OR UP TO $50 USD IF YOU ACQUIRED THE SOFTWARE FOR NO CHARGE). YOU WILL NOT, AND WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO, SEEK TO RECOVER ANY OTHER DAMAGES OR REMEDY, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS AND DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, UNDER ANY PART OF THIS AGREEMENT OR UNDER ANY THEORY. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES TO (I) ANYTHING RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE SOFTWARE, SERVICES, CORRUPTION OR LOSS OF DATA, FAILURE TO TRANSMIT OR RECEIVE DATA, CONTENT (INCLUDING CODE) ON THIRD PARTY INTERNET SITES OR THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS, AND (II) CLAIMS FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, GUARANTEE, OR CONDITION; STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHER TORT; VIOLATION OF A STATUTE OR REGULATION; UNJUST ENRICHMENT; OR UNDER ANY OTHER THEORY.
THE DAMAGE EXCLUSIONS AND REMEDY LIMITATIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT APPLY EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO REMEDY (THE SOFTWARE IS LICENSED “AS IS”), IF REPAIR, REPLACEMENT, OR A REFUND (IF REQUIRED BY YOUR LOCAL LAW) DOES NOT FULLY COMPENSATE YOU FOR ANY LOSSES, IF MICROSOFT KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THE DAMAGES, OR IF THE REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.