Outline data in Excel Services
If you have a list of data that you want to group and summarize, you can outline the data up to eight levels, one for each group. Each inner level, represented by a higher number in the outline symbols, displays detail data for the preceding outer level, represented by a lower number in the outline symbols. Use an outline to quickly display summary rows or columns, or to reveal the detail data for each group. You can outline rows (as shown in the example below), outline columns, or outline both rows and columns.
An outlined row of sales data grouped by geographical regions and months with several summary and detail rows displayed.
1. To display rows for a level, click the appropriate outline symbols.
2. Level 1 contains the total sales for all detail rows.
3. Level 2 contains total sales for each month in each region.
4. Level 3 contains detail rows (only detail rows 11 through 13 are currently visible).
5. To expand or collapse data in your outline, click the and outline symbols.
Show or hide outlined data
Do one or more of the following:
Show or hide the detail data for a group
To display the detail data within a group, click the for the group.
To hide the detail data for a group, click the for the group.
Expand or collapse the entire outline to a particular level
In the outline symbols, click the number of the level that you want. Detail data at lower levels is then hidden.
For example, if an outline has four levels, you can hide the fourth level and display the rest of the levels by clicking .
Show or hide all of the outlined detail data
To show all detail data, click the lowest level in the outline symbols. For example, if there are three levels, click .
To hide all detail data, click .