If you're troubleshooting Office and would like to remove the license files on your Mac, you can use the license removal tool. This will completely remove all licenses for Office 2016 for Mac on your Mac.
Important: Before using the tool, make sure you have the correct account info and password associated with your Office 2016 for Mac available for when you reactivate.
This tool can also help if you've subscribed to Office 365 and previously had the one-time purchase of Office 2016 for Mac on your computer, and aren't seeing subscription features like Focus Mode in Word, Morph transition in PowerPoint, or O365 Groups in Outlook because your copy of Office is still using the license of your one-time purchase and not your subscription.
Download and run the license removal tool
1. Quit out of all Office applications.
3. Double-click the .pkg file from your downloads folder.
Note: If you get an "unidentified developer" error. Try opening the file by holding Control + clicking the file.
4. Click Continue and follow the prompts in the setup wizard.
Caution: We recommend you double-check that you have the correct account info ready by logging into Office.com/signin and checking for your Office 365 subscription.
5. When you're ready to complete the license removal, click Install. You may need to enter your Mac's local admin account password.
After the tool successfully removes licenses, click Close.
6. Start any Office application and sign in with the email account associated with Office 365.
After you've successfully activated Office 2016 for Mac, restart your computer and then you're good to go!
Note: If your account has both an Office 365 license and a one-time purchase associated with it, you'll be prompted to choose which license you want to activate with. Be sure to select the license that is for Office 365.